S.M.I.L.E. - 2011
Summer Mentoring in India for Leadership Education
Summer Mentoring in India for Leadership Education (S.M.I.L.E.) is a Service-Learning project that I will be implementing during the summer of 2011. The duration of the trip will be two and half weeks during which I will be working for a period of 10 days for a total of 50 hours at the Shree Ramana Maharishi Academy for the Blind in Bangalore, India.
The goals of the project is for me to:
- volunteer as a class room assistant for the 4th grade students
- implement specific activities
- assist the vocational training instructor
- assist the sports instructor
The activities are specifically geared for the visually challenged to increase their self-esteem by enhancing motor skills development, action-reaction development, tactile development, auditory and phonic development, game theory, and strategy development.
Some of the activities I have specially modified for this project include:
- "Simon says" A game for coordination and dexterity.
Tic -Tac-Toe: game for strategy development and combination game theory.
Cobbler’s Bench action and reaction, and stimulating gross motor skills.
- Foam blocks : is an activity that teaches geometry by using shapes such as triangles, circles, cubes, cylinders, squares and semicircles.
- Yo-Yo, is a toy to improve motor skills
- Magic Microphone, is a plastic toy that uses a spring to echo the voice. It is an activity to stimulate auditory and phonic skills.
- A paddle ball to stimulate motor coordination.
- Stability ball, is a large and inflatable ball to promote motor reflex and stability.